So here we are, rapidly approaching the end of the year and you might be shoving out the last package right now, or have hung up your "on vacation" sign by now. Either way, have you had a moment to give some thought to your PR plan for 2014? This is a REALLY great time to do this as the magazines are going to be diving into the March and April issues come January, and since there is no time like the present, let's figure out together how you can get in one of them. Sound like a plan?
Over the holidays when your sales are super slow, or most likely at a stand still, take some time to review the magazines that you want to get in and start working on looking up the current editors (see the Masthead) and getting your lists in order.
Here are some things to keep in mind while making your list and planning your angle of attack: Let's not get too crazy and keep things at a minimum so you can handle growth and your current biz, and not get so overwhelmed that you freak out……K?
1. Wonder how to pick the right magazines to approach? Think about your target market and which mags they would read and go from there…….. if they don't read it, don't bother! You might also consider thinking a bit outside the box when picking magazines and look into various areas like bridal, fitness, baby and see if your product can fit into multiple categories.
2. Pick your top 10-20 magazines and get the list of editors together. Sometimes a trip to B&N is good to look at the Masthead to update your list, or start a new one. Each magazine has a formula for emails, so if you can't see it on the masthead, call the main number and ask what the formula is. Example: First name_ Last@magazine.com
3. Go to each magazines website and download the media calendar for each magazine you have chosen. This will alert you to what the main topics for each month are (This is done so advertisers can make decisions about specific issues) and you can see if there are specific months that are sure fits for you……I like to highlight them for the year and put all this in my calendar so I know when to pitch what to whom. It makes it impossible to "forget" to pitch the media. Yeah! For example: http://www.condenast.com/brands/lucky/media-kit/print/calendar
4. Draft your letter and/or email to the editors you have chosen and tell them WHY your product is perfect for the subscribers, or better yet, for a specific story you saw on the media calendar. Be sure to include images of the specific product you are pitching, and feel free to add your entire catalog in case they have another story idea in the works. Remember: Editors prefer to be pitched on target and will be much more likely to respond if you send only a few targeted items to review. NOTE: Be sure to only show the retail prices to the media.
5. Have fun with this…..and remember, PR is really important. It drives traffic to your website, helps grow your mailing list, attracts general interest in your brand, people see what a rock star you are and in the end, you make more money.
When in doubt, Take the next step
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
We enrolled in Sarah Shaw’s program because we needed someone to kick us into shape! She did just …
“I am a detailed person and hate when I buy something online and am not satisfied. It’s always hard …
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
9 hours ago
Join me and Venus Williams as she candidly chats with me about how the discipline of playing tennis has helped her be a better entrepreneur.
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/venus-williams-on-living-life-as-an-eleven/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #VenusWilliams #elevenbyvenuswilliams #blacklivesmatter #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
1 day ago
Manufacture a Clothing Line? Offer online specials and encourage your shoppers to hold Zoom dinner parties and dress up. Book a call with me today and learn how to get through this crisis. sarahshawconsulting.com/sarahshaw/apply-case-study/
#sarahshawconsulting #clothing #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #nordstrom #consultation #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #reseller #boutique #clothingline #manufacturer #zoomparties ... See MoreSee Less
3 days ago
It’s awesome that other people are marketing and promoting your brand while you are doing other things that require your attention.
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/drop-shipping-2020/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #entrepreneur #reseller #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques ... See MoreSee Less
4 days ago
Learn from Lisa what it takes to get on QVC or HSN. Her insider tips will get you to hustle, and show you how sales and public relations can help grow your business.
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/lisa-ascolese-shares-insider-tips-for-qvc-and-hsn/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #lisaascolese #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #blacklivesmatter #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
6 days ago
Can you share what's working for your company today?
Any kind of PR is good PR...... especially when it takes 5 minutes and is free! I'm putting together a collaborative blog post and need your input! Since our normal way of doing business has changed, we have been forced to pivot to stay nimble during this unprecedented time in our lives.
Share all your awesome info here: sarahshawconsulting.com/how-are-you-making-money-today/ I'd love to hear new ways of doing business that you have discovered or invented during Covid shutdowns.
How are you getting online sales?
Are you still selling wholesale?
Are you drop shipping?
If you relied on pop-ups, what is your new normal?
Have you turned to advertising to drive traffic?
Are you seeking more PR?
And anything else that is working for you..... I want to know and learn from you too.
Please share ways that your company has pivoted during Covid-19 shutdowns and limitations and how you are making money today. Requirements:
Please share a short paragraph and give us your best tips!
Please add a headshot and some product shots as well if you'd like. Photos must be 300x300 px and 72 dpi or the system will reject them.
Share all your awesome info here: sarahshawconsulting.com/how-are-you-making-money-today/ I'll be sure to let you know when the post goes live later this week so that you can share it too. ... See MoreSee Less