Ok, so your sales rep finally calls (you have been calling & calling to get the sales numbers for market week) and gives you the the “not so great” news that sales are down and she is not sure why since “everyone loved it”, they just didn’t buy it……and you are heartbroken. You worked so hard on this collection and were sure it would be a hit. And you were counting on the sales.
First things first! Close up shop and call your BFF for an immediate martini rendez-vous so you can get your crying out of the way and get back on your game tomorrow. There is NO time to lose. Bitch and moan, cry, lament lost sales, complain about certain buyers who never buy from you, agree that this collection is not actually that great, assume your prices are too high, and above all, be sure to remind yourself that you totally suck as a designer!
Ok, got that all out of the way now……. back to your brilliant self and time to get into stealth recovery mode.
Here is what you are going to do:
1. Examine your line-sheets and see if there is someway you can rearrange them to make the line look fresh again and perhaps give it a different twist.
2. Revisit your product images and see if there is some way they can look better (perhaps they rock, but good to double check) since you will be doing most of the sales now via email and internet…..you want them to be awesome.
3. Come up with some great incentives to offer stores. Could be a free item, free shipping, try to upsell for bigger discounts.
4. Call every single store you ever sold to (even the ones you think saw your line at market) and give them your best pitch. This might takes days and days, but it is a necessity if you want to survive, so sell it like you mean it.
5. Call every single store you have ever wanted to be in but never got around to calling, or were to scared to call…….and even the stores you were too scared to be scared to call……AKA the biggest stores you can think of!
6. Revisit your celebrity list and see if you can get your stuff to someone popular (see this post on how to find the most popular celebs) ASAP. If you can land a good one, send that out immediately (emergency on fire fast) to everyone on your entire mailing list……especially your mom if she likes to brag about you.
7. Email your online shoppers and offer them a preview sale on your new collection. This will give you a good gauge on how it will sell once in stores too. This also builds good will as they feel special being the first to sport your new stuff – and they’ll love ya for it.
8. Contact bloggers (only the amazing ones). Offer them a product in exchange for a review. Be sure to get it all over social media.
9. Speaking of social media, be sure to post your new collection on Pinterest (all the big designers do), offer a FB only preview special with a coupon code to track sales, as well as a twitter only sale with their unique code…..see where your traffic is coming from – win win, sell stuff and get some marketing research done too.
10. Reach out to every single person you know in the entire world and ask them to help promote your preview sales……. Send them a short email they can forward to their friends, ask if you can post it on their FB page (or they might offer so have a short blurb handy), ask them to tweet it, and don’t forget to offer them a better preview sale price….they’ll smile.
The only way to pull out of a market week disaster is to put the train into full motion and to not step on the break until you achieve your sales goals. I guarantee you will be tired, but most likely you’ll also be a lot richer…….and you can sleep when your dead!
Here’s to more sales and a happy and fat bank account.
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
We enrolled in Sarah Shaw’s program because we needed someone to kick us into shape! She did just …
“I am a detailed person and hate when I buy something online and am not satisfied. It’s always hard …
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
18 hours ago
Join me and Venus Williams as she candidly chats with me about how the discipline of playing tennis has helped her be a better entrepreneur.
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/venus-williams-on-living-life-as-an-eleven/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #VenusWilliams #elevenbyvenuswilliams #blacklivesmatter #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
2 days ago
Manufacture a Clothing Line? Offer online specials and encourage your shoppers to hold Zoom dinner parties and dress up. Book a call with me today and learn how to get through this crisis. sarahshawconsulting.com/sarahshaw/apply-case-study/
#sarahshawconsulting #clothing #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #nordstrom #consultation #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #reseller #boutique #clothingline #manufacturer #zoomparties ... See MoreSee Less
4 days ago
It’s awesome that other people are marketing and promoting your brand while you are doing other things that require your attention.
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/drop-shipping-2020/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #entrepreneur #reseller #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques ... See MoreSee Less
5 days ago
Learn from Lisa what it takes to get on QVC or HSN. Her insider tips will get you to hustle, and show you how sales and public relations can help grow your business.
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/lisa-ascolese-shares-insider-tips-for-qvc-and-hsn/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #lisaascolese #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #blacklivesmatter #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
6 days ago
Can you share what's working for your company today?
Any kind of PR is good PR...... especially when it takes 5 minutes and is free! I'm putting together a collaborative blog post and need your input! Since our normal way of doing business has changed, we have been forced to pivot to stay nimble during this unprecedented time in our lives.
Share all your awesome info here: sarahshawconsulting.com/how-are-you-making-money-today/ I'd love to hear new ways of doing business that you have discovered or invented during Covid shutdowns.
How are you getting online sales?
Are you still selling wholesale?
Are you drop shipping?
If you relied on pop-ups, what is your new normal?
Have you turned to advertising to drive traffic?
Are you seeking more PR?
And anything else that is working for you..... I want to know and learn from you too.
Please share ways that your company has pivoted during Covid-19 shutdowns and limitations and how you are making money today. Requirements:
Please share a short paragraph and give us your best tips!
Please add a headshot and some product shots as well if you'd like. Photos must be 300x300 px and 72 dpi or the system will reject them.
Share all your awesome info here: sarahshawconsulting.com/how-are-you-making-money-today/ I'll be sure to let you know when the post goes live later this week so that you can share it too. ... See MoreSee Less