I own a small jewelry company. I am trying with very little capital to get PR. I have emailed every editor with no luck. Mother’s Day is the best day of the year for my engraved jewelry as it is engraved with kids names and birthdates. I would love advise on how to get my product out there in time for Mother’s Day.
Lori Gilman www.love2designjewelry.com
Thanks for asking this question and for being an example to other up and coming designers who might be in the same position as you are. I did take a look at your website and I love your designs. They are very sophisticated and beautifully made. But, I think some of your difficulty with editors starts with the basics of your business model. Since all the items are made to order at this time, it is hard to attract “holiday driven” traffic as it is often last minute. I can see why magazines might have a problem with this and therefore, not be as wiling to write about your awesome company. I am sure you were hoping for a more glamorous response, but I think you need to go back to basics and relaunch with something that will really grab every ones attention! I know you can do it.
So here are a few suggestions to try to grab their attention:
1. Try to develop a line of signature designs that are available all the time and can be shipped within a few days. Most internet purchasing is done last minute and the customer wants it yesterday!
2. Be sure your website is user friendly – meaning that each section has separate images so purchasing can be made simply. Right now you require the customer to contact you to place the custom order. Each extra step someone has to go through on line means they are less likely to purchase and just click off to a site that is easier.
3. Create a sales page for your new signature items as well as the custom items and let them order on line. It seems that for your custom items you will need a text box or a way for them to send you a jpeg of the image they want on the item. BUT, get them to commit and purchase – then getting them to send you what you need will be easy.
4. I’d suggest having an “about you” page with a photo. Your customers might want to know who you are and learn more about you before making a purchase.
5. I’d also create a FAQ page about your companies policies. You might include some of the following: Your return/exchange policy, how you ship, instructions on how to place an order on line or by phone, how to contact you for a return or exchange, how to care for their jewelry, etc… Check out some other websites and see what they include on their FAQ and borrow it!
I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. I think once you have a signature line, you will find it easier to go back to the editors and resubmit your press kit. Building a business based on 100% custom orders is very difficult and hard to promote because of the lag time.
Check back frequently as a lot of people have asked the same PR questions and I will answer those in the coming weeks.
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I wanted to say thank you again to you for helping me connect with the Notanonymous showroom in NYC.…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
Working with Sarah has been an amazing experience. Her knowledge about everything is mind-blowing a…
I’ve been getting Sarah’s Instantly Famous notes for years. I’ve been listening to her, reading her …
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
10 hours ago
Get ready to learn a few more of my ninja tricks to get your products to celebs all year long so you can continue to turn yourself into a celebrity designer.⠀
Be sure to check out the blog: sarahshawconsulting.com/how-to-find-popular-celebrities-every-day-of-the-week/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #legallyblonde #ReeseWitherspoon #hollywood #instyle /#nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #product2celebrities #consultation #contactanycelebrity #branding #business #entreprenette #marketing #publicrelations #celebritydesigner ... See MoreSee Less
1 day ago
Sarah Shaw talks to fashion icon Trina Turk about how she got her start in fashion and learned the ropes of having her own business by trial and error.⠀
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/trina-turk/⠀
#sarahshawconsulting #trinaturk #podcast #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
Stylists have always been rather mysterious and illusive in my opinion. You often see their names in magazines, in Oscar reports and sometimes in tabloids, or on Celeb driven TV shows like Extra, E! etc…. but getting your product to them is a different story.⠀
Be sure to check out the blog here: sarahshawconsulting.com/hitting-up-hollywood-stylists/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #legallyblonde #ReeseWitherspoon #hollywood #instyle #nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #product2celebrities #consultation #contactanycelebrity #branding #business #entreprenette #marketing #publicrelations #stylists ... See MoreSee Less
My handbags have been worn or carried by over 70 A-List Celebrities including Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, and Sarah Jessica Parker.⠀
Book a call with me to find out more: sarahshawconsulting.com/sarahshaw/apply-case-study/
#sarahshawconsulting #CameronDiaz #JuliaRoberts #JenniferGarner #AngelinaJolie #JenniferAniston #Ellendegeneres #taylorswift #kristindavis #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #hollywood #instyle #nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #consultation #product2celebrities ... See MoreSee Less
In this podcast, Stephen M Key shares licensing secrets that will make you jump on your ideas this week. His generous spirit and desire to help entrepreneurs succeed is evident.⠀
Tune in to the podcast to find out! Be sure to check out the podcast here: sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/stephen-key-shares-licensing-secrets/
#sarahshawconsulting #StephenKey #podcast #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba
1d ... See MoreSee Less