So let’s get down to basics. The whole lynchpin of your business is your target market (TM)…. next to the quality and need for your products of course! But the bottom line, is that if you don’t know who you are selling to, it really doesn’t matter how awesome your designs are……if no one is there to buy them, there is no money, which is super disappointing.
Let’s change that right now!
Here are some things to think about to find and market to your exact TM.
1. Figure out where they LIVE. This is the #1 most important step.
2. The stores in these locations are where they shop – so try selling to them first.
3. When posting on social media – only post things your TM is interested in knowing about. Or ask them questions to help you create more of what they want to buy from you.
4. When emailing your list (at least 2x a month) be sure you are telling them about something interesting – could be a sale you are having, a new item that you added, or even about your most recent blog post.
5. Email your list at least 1x a month and do NOT try to sell them anything. Build rapport and a relationship with them.
6. If you get your products in the media or to a celebrity – be sure to let your list know and offer them a discount on that item.
7. Try to get related blogs to do reviews of one of your products.
8. As a fellow designer (who sells something complimentary) if you can buy a small item at cost and offer it as a free gift with purchase.
9. Survey your stores to see what they want more of. Don’t be shy about this, buyers LOVE to tell you what to do next. Sometimes this can get them feeling involved so they buy more.
10. Do sample sales and home parties to stay in touch with your local shoppers and get first hand praise and loads of Ooh’s and Aah’s about your stuff so you feel really great at the end of the day and reinvigorated to go design more cool stuff!!!
How well do you feel you know your TM?
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I wanted to say thank you again to you for helping me connect with the Notanonymous showroom in NYC.…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
Working with Sarah has been an amazing experience. Her knowledge about everything is mind-blowing a…
I’ve been getting Sarah’s Instantly Famous notes for years. I’ve been listening to her, reading her …
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
1 day ago
Exciting day when you find out that Charlize Theron bought your bags at a boutique and then InStyle wrote about it. If you want to learn how I do this time and time again, book a call with me and I'll share some secrets with you.
#sarahshawconsulting #entreprenette #getastreetsmartmba #instyle #CharlizeTheron #celebrities #boutiques ... See MoreSee Less
2 days ago
Join me and Venus as she candidly chats with me about how the discipline of playing tennis has helped her be a better entrepreneur.⠀
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/venus-williams-on-living-life-as-an-eleven/⠀
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #VenusWilliams #elevenbyvenuswilliams #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
3 days ago
Do you ever wonder about some other ways to photograph your line? I know I always did…..and it took some expensive shoots to teach me some simple tricks!⠀
Be sure to check out the blog: sarahshawconsulting.com/photographing-your-line/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #hollywood #instyle #nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #product2celebrities #consultation #contactanycelebrity #branding #business #entreprenette #marketing #publicrelations #sales #salesreps #wholesale #investors ... See MoreSee Less
2 weeks ago
Getting my Handbag in Legally Blonde got me into Nordstrom and on EXTRA TV.⠀
Be sure to check out Celebrity Confidential: sarahshawconsulting.com/celebrity-confidential/
#sarahshaw #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #legallyblonde #ReeseWitherspoon #hollywood #instyle #nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #product2celebrities #consultation #contactanycelebrity #howtocontactcelebrity ... See MoreSee Less