So let’s get down to basics. The whole lynchpin of your business is your target market (TM)…. next to the quality and need for your products of course! But the bottom line, is that if you don’t know who you are selling to, it really doesn’t matter how awesome your designs are……if no one is there to buy them, there is no money, which is super disappointing.
Let’s change that right now!
Here are some things to think about to find and market to your exact TM.
1. Figure out where they LIVE. This is the #1 most important step.
2. The stores in these locations are where they shop – so try selling to them first.
3. When posting on social media – only post things your TM is interested in knowing about. Or ask them questions to help you create more of what they want to buy from you.
4. When emailing your list (at least 2x a month) be sure you are telling them about something interesting – could be a sale you are having, a new item that you added, or even about your most recent blog post.
5. Email your list at least 1x a month and do NOT try to sell them anything. Build rapport and a relationship with them.
6. If you get your products in the media or to a celebrity – be sure to let your list know and offer them a discount on that item.
7. Try to get related blogs to do reviews of one of your products.
8. As a fellow designer (who sells something complimentary) if you can buy a small item at cost and offer it as a free gift with purchase.
9. Survey your stores to see what they want more of. Don’t be shy about this, buyers LOVE to tell you what to do next. Sometimes this can get them feeling involved so they buy more.
10. Do sample sales and home parties to stay in touch with your local shoppers and get first hand praise and loads of Ooh’s and Aah’s about your stuff so you feel really great at the end of the day and reinvigorated to go design more cool stuff!!!
How well do you feel you know your TM?
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
We enrolled in Sarah Shaw’s program because we needed someone to kick us into shape! She did just …
“I am a detailed person and hate when I buy something online and am not satisfied. It’s always hard …
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
11 hours ago
4 days ago
1 week ago
I had the pleasure of speaking with Mae Karwowski, the founder and CEO of Obvious.ly, a leading global influencer-marketing agency and technology platform. Mae shares some amazing tips on working with influencers and how you can forge relationships to build your brand.
Want to learn more? Drop me a comment below.
#podcast #maekarwowski #obviously #sarahshawconsulting #entrepreneur #streetsmartMBA #PR #celebrities #business #fashion #celebs #celebrityaccess ... See MoreSee Less
Do you know how to set the right price for your product line? Lordy knows I sure didn’t when I first started my handbag line. But once I learned the correct way to do it, I never mispriced anything again! Now I want to share this method with you so you can be profitable and not wonder why you can’t pay yourself.
It took me years to figure out how to set the right price for my product line when I first started out, so I can imagine you might be in the same situation. If you are not sure if you are making any money, then there is a good chance you’re not pricing your products correctly.
Proper costing is the lifeline to your business and profitability. Taking into consideration and finding all the hidden costs, is the key. So many people forget little things that they add up and then BOOM, you are not making any money. Once you have the actual cost (cost of goods sold) then it is easy to figure out the wholesale and retail prices so you are always making money.
I’d love to share this formula with you. It totally saved my rear when I was in year 3….. Just thinking of all that lost money in the first 2 years…. I want to cry!
Drop me a comment with “PRICED FOR PROFIT” and I’ll reach out and connect with you. ... See MoreSee Less