So let’s get down to basics. The whole lynchpin of your business is your target market (TM)…. next to the quality and need for your products of course! But the bottom line, is that if you don’t know who you are selling to, it really doesn’t matter how awesome your designs are……if no one is there to buy them, there is no money, which is super disappointing.
Let’s change that right now!
Here are some things to think about to find and market to your exact TM.
1. Figure out where they LIVE. This is the #1 most important step.
2. The stores in these locations are where they shop – so try selling to them first.
3. When posting on social media – only post things your TM is interested in knowing about. Or ask them questions to help you create more of what they want to buy from you.
4. When emailing your list (at least 2x a month) be sure you are telling them about something interesting – could be a sale you are having, a new item that you added, or even about your most recent blog post.
5. Email your list at least 1x a month and do NOT try to sell them anything. Build rapport and a relationship with them.
6. If you get your products in the media or to a celebrity – be sure to let your list know and offer them a discount on that item.
7. Try to get related blogs to do reviews of one of your products.
8. As a fellow designer (who sells something complimentary) if you can buy a small item at cost and offer it as a free gift with purchase.
9. Survey your stores to see what they want more of. Don’t be shy about this, buyers LOVE to tell you what to do next. Sometimes this can get them feeling involved so they buy more.
10. Do sample sales and home parties to stay in touch with your local shoppers and get first hand praise and loads of Ooh’s and Aah’s about your stuff so you feel really great at the end of the day and reinvigorated to go design more cool stuff!!!
How well do you feel you know your TM?
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
Your program is already helping me sooo much.. and I finally feel like there is a light at the end o… Read more
I’ve worked with Sarah for about 3 months now and my line has been picked up in 2 new stores with … Read more
I wanted to share the importance of persistence, as you always say! I pitched another item to this w… Read more
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st… Read more
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda … Read more
Sarah is exactly what I have been looking for to take my business to the next level. She brings a to… Read more
Everything’s coming together. I am so excited. Thank you "20px" /> the website looks great. I am so… Read more
I LOVE working with Sarah! The best business decision I’ve made recently is joining Sarah’s Retail R… Read more
Sarah has always been so knowledgeable and has helped me so much in growing my business and getting … Read more
10 hours ago
3 days ago
4 days ago
5 days ago
6 days ago
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|