I’ve recently launched my home-based business, and my sales are inconsistent. Until I can get a steady income flow, what are some ways that I can save money in my everyday life?
Sandi Hochman Lucky Puppy
Thanks for a great question! I reached out to my friend Andrew of Money Crashers as he has awesome ideas about how to save money and get ahead!
Starting a home-based business is a huge challenge, and in the beginning, times can be tough. However, there is no reason to despair as there are a variety of ways to save money everyday to make running your business more manageable.
1. Spend Less on Groceries Many people leave a lot of money on the table when it comes to grocery shopping. The best way to impact this expense is by using coupons and learning how to extreme coupon. Pick up a Sunday paper, scan through the ads for the items that you buy the most, and capitalize on all discounts. Many national grocers will “stack” or “double” coupons, and shopping at multiple grocers will allow you to save even more. Additionally, see if you have a farmers market near your home. They offer the same fresh produce that your favorite grocer has at lower prices.
2. Lower Your Rent/Mortgage If you rent, contact your landlord to negotiate a lower rental price. You can offer up services around the property (e.g. home repair) or you can capitalize on the fact that you have been a loyal tenant. It never hurts to ask. If you own a home, on the other hand, consider refinancing your home mortgage. I have refinanced my mortgage several times over the years to save money, and there are a lot of options at your disposal regarding different mortgage plans. And if you’re upside down on your mortgage (i.e. you owe more than your house is worth), see if you qualify to refinance under one of the Making Home Affordable government programs.
3. Adjust Your Discretionary Spending If you are intent on building and establishing your home-based business, temporarily cut back on discretionary spending to free up more capital for your business. Yes, going without your morning latte or favorite cable channels can be annoying for a while, but it’s only temporary and the extra cash flow could give your business just what it needs to take off. Once you get established with a more steady income flow, you can resume normal spending activities.
4. Save on the Business Itself There are many ways to save on the business itself. Consider used furniture and computer equipment to outfit your office in the beginning, and investigate all free forms of marketing. Also, make sure you are aware of and take advantage of any tax breaks and write-offs related to your home-based business.
5. Put Investing On Hold I never like to recommend not investing for retirement, but if you need to free up capital to maintain your business, considering scaling back your retirement investment expenditures. If you can get your home-based business to the level that it will generate significant income, you can resume and increase retirement investing. But if you want to tap retirement accounts for business capital and are younger than 59 1/2, be careful! Most of the time you’ll be hit with steep penalties. It’s best to first consult with a financial planner if you want to withdraw from a previous employer’s retirement plan or your traditional IRA.
Andrew Schrage is owner of the personal finance site and business, Money Crashers.
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
We enrolled in Sarah Shaw’s program because we needed someone to kick us into shape! She did just …
“I am a detailed person and hate when I buy something online and am not satisfied. It’s always hard …
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
Sarah Shaw Consulting is with The Solemates.
3 days ago
In this podcast, I really get to know Becca Brown. She is such an enthusiast about her brand and products that you totally see why Solemates are a girl’s best friend.
Who’d a thunk that heel caps would be such a big thing right? We’ve all been to grass party events, and weddings where your heel just sinks down and you know your shoes are ruined…. Or they need an emergency trip to the shoe doctor right?
Becca and her co-founder Monica had the same experience over and over again until they had their ah-ha moment…..and grass events were never the same again!
She and I chat about how they started at night and on the weekends, got on Shark Tank, didn’t take the deal, pursued sales on their own, are now in over 10,000 stores and still do the sales themselves. Whew!
Let me know in the comments below if you want the link to listen. I’ll send it over. ❤️ ... See MoreSee Less
4 days ago
Shows are cancelled: Buyers still need new products. Book a call with me today and learn how to get through this crisis.
#sarahshawconsulting #buyers #buyer #clothing #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #consultation #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #reseller #boutique #accessories ... See MoreSee Less
6 days ago
Listen to the Trade Show 411 with Kelly Helfman and learn how UBM helps you get your brand noticed. Displaying at a trade show can be scary if you’ve never been before.
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/trade-show-411-with-kelly-helfman/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #kellyhelfman #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
1 week ago
It took me years to figure out how to set the right price for my product line when I first started out, so I can imagine you might be in the same situation. If you are not sure if you are making any money, then there is a good chance you’re not pricing your products correctly.
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/set-the-right-price-for-your-product-line-and-make-more-money/
#sarahshawconsulting #business #retail #wholesale #fashion #clothing #accessories #apparel #boutiques #magazines #consultation #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #entrepreneur #reseller #boutique ... See MoreSee Less
2 weeks ago
Excited to share an interview in INC magazine! I give away a lot of info about how important celebrities can be for your sales!
Check out my Interview here: www.inc.com/tracy-leigh-hazzard/the-truth-about-celebrity-endorsements-getting-your-product-on-tv...
#sarahshawconsulting #entreprenette #getastreetsmartmb #interview #incmagazine #celebrities #business #fashion #press ... See MoreSee Less