As an up and coming Entreprenette you are probably wearing many hats and often feeling overwhelmed. We all hope to walk into our office (or the dining room :O)) and hope to be able to cross everything off our to-do lists each day before it gets out of control …….right? I sure wish it was like that for me!! Obviously that’s not always a reality but here are a few tips to help you get closer to wiping the board clean and make the most of your time.
1. Power Hours: Assign hours or minutes to certain projects. Get a calendar going with times on it and really schedule yourself to get in a rhythm. Maybe you spend 1 hour 2x a day answering emails, 25 minutes on Social Media 2x a day, lunch, exercise, design, meetings, 5 minutes of stretching……you get the picture. Having power hours really gets the job done. Turn off everything else during that time and ONLY work on that. You will be amazed at how fast you can work when totally dedicated.
2. Realize your potential: Before you assign yourself a task, think about if you are the best person to do it or if it is something you can outsource. Even when the money is tight, sometimes outsourcing can free you up to do the things you really excel at and is a much better use of your time. Outsourcing is a great option if you really don’t enjoy the task or are just really bad at it.
3. Don’t assume; ask questions: When speaking to a prospective or current client, try to really understand what they are asking of you. Sometimes we just want to please and take on more that we can chew. You will waste a lot of time back tracking or trying to reinvent the wheel rather than just having listened well the first time and offering what was within your means or area of expertise.
4. Know when to go: Get off the phone as soon as possible. When a caller keeps you on the phone longer than necessary, gently prompt her to end the call. You could tell them that you have another call, that you are on a tight deadline or, if they have requested something, tell them that you want to get started on it immediately.
4a. Know when to listen: Get a voicemail ONLY system so you don’t have to answer the phone and can just check the messages a few times a day. You can always give special customers your cell number. I use Voicemail Depot for this myself and it works wonders for me and my team.
5. The desk makeover: Make your environment conducive to working. Organize your workstation to minimize wasted time searching for lost papers or files etc…This covers two areas: your actual work space and the area surrounding it. Take the time to clear your desk of any distractions – Think about the things you use on a regular basis and have those at the ready – everything else can go on a shelf waiting for its moment in time. You may want to find some storage type bins and or baskets you can use to help you be more organized and have easy access to the things you need to do your job.
6. Flex your muscles: Organize your files so you can find what you need quickly. I like to have files near my desk of things I am currently working on……Everything else is either on my laptop or in a filing cabinet.
7. Find your sweet spot: In retail they say, “Location, location, location.” The same is true in a home office. A desk located in a high-traffic area is as welcome as a marching band in a library. Try to find a quiet place to work so you can concentrate and be as efficient as possible. If this means on your bed then so be it….
8. Conserve gas: If you are in production mode or just have to travel a lot to visit with clients, stores or whatever else….try to plan out your week and group areas together to maximize your time. Most people are accustomed to waiting to be called upon, and will not feel like a day or two is neglectful of you. I think you will find you are more pleasant and happier to be there when you are not so rushed and trying to get more places than possible.
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
We enrolled in Sarah Shaw’s program because we needed someone to kick us into shape! She did just …
“I am a detailed person and hate when I buy something online and am not satisfied. It’s always hard …
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
17 hours ago
Join me and Venus Williams as she candidly chats with me about how the discipline of playing tennis has helped her be a better entrepreneur.
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/venus-williams-on-living-life-as-an-eleven/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #VenusWilliams #elevenbyvenuswilliams #blacklivesmatter #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
2 days ago
Manufacture a Clothing Line? Offer online specials and encourage your shoppers to hold Zoom dinner parties and dress up. Book a call with me today and learn how to get through this crisis. sarahshawconsulting.com/sarahshaw/apply-case-study/
#sarahshawconsulting #clothing #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #nordstrom #consultation #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #reseller #boutique #clothingline #manufacturer #zoomparties ... See MoreSee Less
4 days ago
It’s awesome that other people are marketing and promoting your brand while you are doing other things that require your attention.
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/drop-shipping-2020/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #entrepreneur #reseller #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques ... See MoreSee Less
5 days ago
Learn from Lisa what it takes to get on QVC or HSN. Her insider tips will get you to hustle, and show you how sales and public relations can help grow your business.
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/lisa-ascolese-shares-insider-tips-for-qvc-and-hsn/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #lisaascolese #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #blacklivesmatter #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
6 days ago
Can you share what's working for your company today?
Any kind of PR is good PR...... especially when it takes 5 minutes and is free! I'm putting together a collaborative blog post and need your input! Since our normal way of doing business has changed, we have been forced to pivot to stay nimble during this unprecedented time in our lives.
Share all your awesome info here: sarahshawconsulting.com/how-are-you-making-money-today/ I'd love to hear new ways of doing business that you have discovered or invented during Covid shutdowns.
How are you getting online sales?
Are you still selling wholesale?
Are you drop shipping?
If you relied on pop-ups, what is your new normal?
Have you turned to advertising to drive traffic?
Are you seeking more PR?
And anything else that is working for you..... I want to know and learn from you too.
Please share ways that your company has pivoted during Covid-19 shutdowns and limitations and how you are making money today. Requirements:
Please share a short paragraph and give us your best tips!
Please add a headshot and some product shots as well if you'd like. Photos must be 300x300 px and 72 dpi or the system will reject them.
Share all your awesome info here: sarahshawconsulting.com/how-are-you-making-money-today/ I'll be sure to let you know when the post goes live later this week so that you can share it too. ... See MoreSee Less