When I had my handbag line I just wanted to be successful. I wasn’t always sure what that meant….. it did include making lots of money….but I wasn’t sure what the rest looked like for a while. And I certainly didn’t know there were 5 ways investors were going to ruin my business.
Once I got some PR and got my products to famous Celebrities, people started to take notice of me. Magazines wanted to interview me, and producers called asking me to be on E! and Extra. Don’t get me wrong, that was all fabulous and helped skyrocket my sales…..which made me more money…..which made me feel successful.
The circle was starting feel complete……
But what really made me feel like a rockstar was when investors started poking around. Now this was an important moment for me…..
I was flattered, but I wasn’t sure it was the right move for me. I didn’t really need their money, but I was enticed with the fact that they’d supply me with a COO who had a fancy MBA from UCLA and who (they swore) was clearly more capable than me since she had a business degree. Somehow I got caught up in it all and before I knew it, I had 28 small investors and a new COO.
But as you might know, it didn’t turn out to be all glamorous and fabulous….in fact, it was a mixture of my ignorance and circumstance that blew it up in my face. And cost me my business.
Unfortunately, I was not very “legally” savvy at this point and just went with the flow and in the end…..paid the price. I lost my namesake company, the rights to use my own name, and for a while my pride.
This hurt the most.
If you are considering teaming up with investors, be it friends, family, Angels, or VC’s… here are some things I learned the hard way.
Don’t make the same mistakes I did.
I am not an attorney…..just someone who experienced difficulty, and learned a lot over the years. Ask your attorney for advice on this…..just sayin’… ’cause I’m not one.
1. First and foremost, get your OWN attorney. Not the one for the company, but your very own who has your best interest at heart. A corporation’s attorney is obligated by law to make the best deal possible for the business.…not for you, even if you are the owner. I lost the rights to use my own name when I closed my handbag company as the company owned the rights to my Trademark, and my bitter investors would not give it back to me. I didn’t have my own attorney. Get one.
2. When taking money from anyone, be sure you have a very tight/strong shareholder agreement that clearly states they are taking a risk. Make them sign that page in addition to the main signature page. This saved my butt. If you don’t have this little piece of paper, they could turn around and haul our butt into court for not keeping your promise to make them rich (possibly in their dreams)…. but never the less.
3. If giving shares for sweat equity, be sure the equity equals the sweat. Meaning that you should have a clear statement of expectations and once the expectations are met each quarter (or how ever you measure it) then that amount of shares vest.
For example: You are giving someone 16% of your company for XYZ services. They have committed to 2 years of service in exchange for the shares. If you divide the shares in 8 parts then each quarter they vest 2% of their shares. If they abandon you – the vesting stops and you retain the shares. You can also speak to your attorney about the abandoning part as he/she might come up with a way to get the shares back for you if they quit too soon. It’s worth asking. One of my business partners took 20% equity in exchange for sweat equity, and quit a few months in and kept the shares as I didn’t have my own attorney and the corporate attorney did not advise me on this…… live and learn. It sucked.
4. Make sure your shareholder agreement has a dilution clause….meaning that you can dilute the shares and raise more money. Don’t get stuck NOT being able to raise more money. This was the one good thing the company attorney did that I could benefit from. Legal Zoom can help guide you on all this legal mumbo jumbo.
5. Lastly, only take money from investors when it is the LAST LAST LAST possible resort…… use credit cards, get a loan, borrow from a friend and pay them the low interest they are getting now……Investors stink…..they are (usually) only after the money they think you can make for them…. they are business people who choose to invest in you instead of Apple…..and they don’t want to lose their hard earned money.
It’s a lot of pressure.
The best investors are the ones who can give you advice, make connections, introduce you to the right people….. the ones who can actually change your life. Look for those….. you’ll be happier.
If you have any specific questions…..feel free to post them below.
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I wanted to say thank you again to you for helping me connect with the Notanonymous showroom in NYC.…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
Working with Sarah has been an amazing experience. Her knowledge about everything is mind-blowing a…
I’ve been getting Sarah’s Instantly Famous notes for years. I’ve been listening to her, reading her …
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
15 hours ago
Do you wonder how some brands are all of a sudden “all over the place” and just a few months before you’d never even heard of them?
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/how-to-contact-25-stores-in-a-week/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #legallyblonde #reesewitherspoon #hollywood #instyle #nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #product2celebrities #consultation #contactanycelebrity #branding #business #entreprenette ... See MoreSee Less
5 days ago
Jill Smokler is a genius in creating content. When she created the Mommy Confessionals, it took off like wild fire and took Scary Mommy blog into a totally new space with millions of subscribers and ad money pouring in.
Click here to tune in now: sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/scary-mommys-jill-smokler/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #scarymommy #jillsmokler #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
6 days ago
Do you ever wonder about some other ways to photograph your line? I know I always did…..and it took some expensive shoots to teach me some simple tricks!
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/photographing-your-line/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #hollywood #instyle #nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #product2celebrities #consultation #contactanycelebrity #branding #website #productphotography #brandingDo you ever wonder about some other ways to photograph your line? I know I always did.....and it took some expensive shoots to teach me some simple tricks!
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/photographing-your-line/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #hollywood #instyle #nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #product2celebrities #consultation #contactanycelebrity #branding #website #productphotography #branding ... See MoreSee Less
7 days ago
Celebrity Confidential is a treasure trove of all of my very best secrets, insider strategies and "hidden knowledge"... all in one place.
Be sure to check out: sarahshawconsulting.com/celebrity-confidential/
#sarahshawconsulting #angelinajolie reesewitherspoon #camerondiaz #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba #hollywood #instyle #nordstrom #bergdorfgoodman #product2celebrities #consultation #celebrityconfidential ... See MoreSee Less
1 week ago
Join me and Erin for our lively chat where her honestly and vision shine through. You just know she is going places!
Click here to tune in now: sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/project-runway-winner-erin-robertson/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #ProjectRunway #erinrobertson #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less