When and if you decide to hire some help, here are 5 things you should know before hiring a sales rep to make sure you sound savvy! Keep in mind that sales reps can be an amazing asset to your business, but you want to be aware of the costs involved before taking the plunge.
Most sales reps will most likely have a contract for you to sign, and that is totally normal, but be sure to note a few of my suggestions below so you get the best deal possible. Keep in mind that everything is negotiable…… be sure to read every single word as you don’t want to get caught with your panties down.
1. They will probably ask for a set of free samples. That is totally normal. You should provide that.
2. They will require that you provide them with catalogs and/or linesheets. And YES, you do need to do that and mail them to their office. They will not print them for you. Ask them to email the linesheets to potential customers when possible of course.
3. They may require you to participate in Tradeshows. If this is out of your budget, try to negotiate to attend “some” instead of all. If you can attend them all, your sales will probably be higher.
4. Some will have showroom fees that are monthly payments on top of commission. Be sure to ask about that before getting too excited. This can be negotiated as well in some instances. If you are hiring a Road Rep, they should only ask for commission on sales.
5. When paying commission, never pay in advance. Only pay for invoices that you have been paid for. You can use this Sample Commission form to help you keep track of paid invoices. Send one each month to your rep with the payment.
Hope this makes you sounds like a super savvy entreprenette.
Like what you read? Ready to step up your own game in 2020?
Book a strategy session with me and let’s see how I can help.
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st… Read more
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda … Read more
I LOVE working with Sarah! The best business decision I’ve made recently is joining Sarah’s Retail R… Read more
We enrolled in Sarah Shaw’s program because we needed someone to kick us into shape! She did just … Read more
“I am a detailed person and hate when I buy something online and am not satisfied. It’s always hard … Read more
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w… Read more
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product… Read more
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers … Read more
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often… Read more
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60… Read more
2 days ago
5 days ago
6 days ago
7 days ago
2 weeks ago