When and if you decide to hire some help, here are 5 things you should know before hiring a sales rep to make sure you sound savvy! Keep in mind that sales reps can be an amazing asset to your business, but you want to be aware of the costs involved before taking the plunge.
Most sales reps will most likely have a contract for you to sign, and that is totally normal, but be sure to note a few of my suggestions below so you get the best deal possible. Keep in mind that everything is negotiable…… be sure to read every single word as you don’t want to get caught with your panties down.
1. They will probably ask for a set of free samples. That is totally normal. You should provide that.
2. They will require that you provide them with catalogs and/or linesheets. And YES, you do need to do that and mail them to their office. They will not print them for you. Ask them to email the linesheets to potential customers when possible of course.
3. They may require you to participate in Tradeshows. If this is out of your budget, try to negotiate to attend “some” instead of all. If you can attend them all, your sales will probably be higher.
4. Some will have showroom fees that are monthly payments on top of commission. Be sure to ask about that before getting too excited. This can be negotiated as well in some instances. If you are hiring a Road Rep, they should only ask for commission on sales.
5. When paying commission, never pay in advance. Only pay for invoices that you have been paid for. You can use this Sample Commission form to help you keep track of paid invoices. Send one each month to your rep with the payment.
Hope this makes you sounds like a super savvy entreprenette.
Like what you read? Ready to step up your own game in 2020?
Book a strategy session with me and let’s see how I can help.
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
We enrolled in Sarah Shaw’s program because we needed someone to kick us into shape! She did just …
“I am a detailed person and hate when I buy something online and am not satisfied. It’s always hard …
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
15 hours ago
I’ve learned plenty of lessons. I want to share some of those lessons with you right now, because I think they’re super valuable… and my hope is that you can learn from my mistakes and get where you want to go much faster.
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/failure-or-success/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #product2celebrities #consultation #contactanycelebrity #branding #entreprenette #marketing #publicrelations #sales ... See MoreSee Less
4 days ago
1 week ago
I had the pleasure of speaking with Mae Karwowski, the founder and CEO of Obvious.ly, a leading global influencer-marketing agency and technology platform. Mae shares some amazing tips on working with influencers and how you can forge relationships to build your brand.
Want to learn more? Drop me a comment below.
#podcast #maekarwowski #obviously #sarahshawconsulting #entrepreneur #streetsmartMBA #PR #celebrities #business #fashion #celebs #celebrityaccess ... See MoreSee Less
Do you know how to set the right price for your product line? Lordy knows I sure didn’t when I first started my handbag line. But once I learned the correct way to do it, I never mispriced anything again! Now I want to share this method with you so you can be profitable and not wonder why you can’t pay yourself.
It took me years to figure out how to set the right price for my product line when I first started out, so I can imagine you might be in the same situation. If you are not sure if you are making any money, then there is a good chance you’re not pricing your products correctly.
Proper costing is the lifeline to your business and profitability. Taking into consideration and finding all the hidden costs, is the key. So many people forget little things that they add up and then BOOM, you are not making any money. Once you have the actual cost (cost of goods sold) then it is easy to figure out the wholesale and retail prices so you are always making money.
I’d love to share this formula with you. It totally saved my rear when I was in year 3….. Just thinking of all that lost money in the first 2 years…. I want to cry!
Drop me a comment with “PRICED FOR PROFIT” and I’ll reach out and connect with you. ... See MoreSee Less