When and if you decide to hire some help, here are 5 things you should know before hiring a sales rep to make sure you sound savvy! Keep in mind that sales reps can be an amazing asset to your business, but you want to be aware of the costs involved before taking the plunge.
Most sales reps will most likely have a contract for you to sign, and that is totally normal, but be sure to note a few of my suggestions below so you get the best deal possible. Keep in mind that everything is negotiable…… be sure to read every single word as you don’t want to get caught with your panties down.
1. They will probably ask for a set of free samples. That is totally normal. You should provide that.
2. They will require that you provide them with catalogs and/or linesheets. And YES, you do need to do that and mail them to their office. They will not print them for you. Ask them to email the linesheets to potential customers when possible of course.
3. They may require you to participate in Tradeshows. If this is out of your budget, try to negotiate to attend “some” instead of all. If you can attend them all, your sales will probably be higher.
4. Some will have showroom fees that are monthly payments on top of commission. Be sure to ask about that before getting too excited. This can be negotiated as well in some instances. If you are hiring a Road Rep, they should only ask for commission on sales.
5. When paying commission, never pay in advance. Only pay for invoices that you have been paid for. You can use this Sample Commission form to help you keep track of paid invoices. Send one each month to your rep with the payment.
Hope this makes you sounds like a super savvy entreprenette.
Like what you read? Ready to step up your own game in 2020?
Book a strategy session with me and let’s see how I can help.
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I’m already getting orders from the email with the updated pricing that I just sent to my current st…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
We enrolled in Sarah Shaw’s program because we needed someone to kick us into shape! She did just …
“I am a detailed person and hate when I buy something online and am not satisfied. It’s always hard …
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
5 hours ago
Have an accessory line and need help today? Book a call with me today and learn how to get through this crisis. sarahshawconsulting.com/sarahshaw/apply-case-study/
#sarahshawconsulting #clothing #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #nordstrom #consultation #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #reseller #boutique #accessories ... See MoreSee Less
1 day ago
Tune in to this funny, endearing and sweet chat with Emma Johnson, author of The Kickass Single Mom. Emma shares about being a single mom, working her ass off, enjoying time with her two children and how she makes things work with her ex. Plus she has a grant program for single moms…. What?
Tune in to the podcast to find out! sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/emma-johnson-kickass-single-mom/
#sarahshawconsulting #podcast #emmajohnson #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less
2 days ago
I want to share with you the following 5 mistakes that I made, in the hopes you’ll take a serious look at right now at your business so you can be more successful this year.
Read on: sarahshawconsulting.com/the-top-5-business-mistakes-and-how-to-surpass-them/
#sarahshawconsulting #blog #business #costingproducts #marketing #sales #trademarks #tradeshows #wholesale ... See MoreSee Less
3 days ago
Time to move all your sales online! Start offering flash sales and specials to generate sales. Book a call with me today and learn how to get through this crisis.
#sarahshawconsulting #business #fashion #clothing #accessories #apparel #boutiques #magazines #consultation #dropshipping #ecommerce #dropship #dropshippingtips #Entrepreneur #reseller #boutique #Flashsale #besafe #workathome ... See MoreSee Less
4 days ago
Davis Smith of Cotopaxi is an avid outdoorsman, entrepreneur and innovator…..and a totally cool guy. Join us in our journey about the creation of Cotopaxi and how he used a llama to get the word out about the brand when they were first launching.
Click here to tune in now: sarahshawconsulting.com/podcast/volcano-inspired-brand/
#sarahshawconsulting #Davissmith #Cotopaxi #podcast #celebrities #celebs #celebrityaccess #business #fashion #apparel #boutiques #magazines #getastreetsmartmba ... See MoreSee Less