Do you sit around and wonder why you are not living your dream and making the kind of money you want to be making?
Are you afraid to commit to your dream?
Do you know what your dream is?
When I first launched my handbag line over 12 years ago I didn’t know that was my dream. I didn’t have a dream – I just had an idea for this cute little bag. Once it got rolling I realized how much I LOVED IT and it became my dream – my dream was to get my bags in Bergdorfs, Bloomingdales and Fred Segal, in magazines like Instyle, Oprah, ELLE, Lucky and WWD, and to have my bags be in movies and on TV.
Well, with a lot of blood, sweat and tears, I made all that happen for me – it took years of hard work and a lot of rookie mistakes – but I did it.
AND YOU CAN DO IT TOO.
2010 is just around the corner – don’t let another dream-free year go by!
Here are some quick things you can do to get your idea movin’ and shakin’ before 2009 is over!! These 10 steps should only take you about 10 hours!
ONE DAY to get your dream off the ground?? What are you waiting for??
1. If you KNOW what you want to create then start to do the research to see where your product will fit in:
a.Visit stores and see where it would go – what section? Does it need to be folded or hung? Does it need packaging?
b.What other websites can you sell it on?
c.What is the price point of your competitors? Or something close?
2. Make a master list of all the stores or websites you want to be in.
3. Make a list of your competitors and their price points for reference.
4. Pick your ideal retail price point (that you desire) and divide by 8 to get the approximate cost of the item.
5. Play around with the “cost” and see how many you can afford to make – what are you willing to invest in your future?
6. Make a mock up. You don’t need anything fancy. Just find some paper and make a sample. It doesn’t have to be fancy. I know someone who is showing her totally home made sample to QVC before she bothers to make a REAL one. Gutsy right? You can do that too!
7. If you need packaging, hangers, boxes or whatever… then start to look at what is already out there for ideas – buy one if you can for future reference.
8. Name your company and/or your product. If you need help picking a name then invite some friends over for dinner and get them thinking for you – or if you have some $$$ to spare – spend that on a copy writer to think it up for you! It’s worth the few hundy!
9. Buy your domain name ASAP. It’s really cheap on Go Daddy and if you use the coupon code DIGGNATION for $3 off.
10. Register your name on all the social media sites: Blog, Youtube, Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn, or whatever floats your boat. DECIDE to be committed to your product and start talking about it. Maybe you want to chronicle your launching experience, perhaps you LOVE to do videos…..experiment and see what makes YOU the most happy and you will come across much better and be more successful in that medium.
Let me know how it goes!
Want to express your opinion?
Leave a reply!
I wanted to say thank you again to you for helping me connect with the Notanonymous showroom in NYC.…
With Sarah’s help and guidance I was able to get my product into the hands of 5 hot TV set dressers …
Working with Sarah has been an amazing experience. Her knowledge about everything is mind-blowing a…
I’ve been getting Sarah’s Instantly Famous notes for years. I’ve been listening to her, reading her …
When I first started working with Sarah I had a garage full of my Bathroom Bagonia’s and didn’t know…
“I came to Sarah with just the seed of an idea, a pile of sketches, and a bundle of nerves. I left w…
“In just one hour on the phone, Sarah gave me clarity in my pricing and bottom line… Our new product…
Sarah Shaw is like Google, the entire How To section of Barnes and Nobles, Consumer Report and Yoda …
“With just one little tweak of Sarah’s expertise, I amplified the results of this new launch by 60…
“If you have dreamed of hitting it big, and your product has any kind of ‘it’ factor, as Sarah often…